Wednesday, May 9, 2018
A day to rest and recuperate from the busy, busy ceramic conference and then the game last night. Jim slept all day. I slept in a bit and then spent the day painting. I had started a few pieces Tuesday before the evening game.
I bought some African-American figure molds from a lady in Oregon who happened to come to the conference in Fresno. I asked her to pour some bisque for me so I could get them painted before the African-American Festival the first weekend in June. (Turns out that Mira is unable to go due to a medical procedure but we will plan some workshops soon.) I wanted to show you what I have done, but since the phone camera is not uploading to the computer, taking pictures is a waste of time. Here are catalog pictures of the molds I have so far.
Not pictured are the girl and boy praying angel shelf sitters, the boy fishing, and the Santa in chair with girl or with boy. So far I have five finished and three that only need detailed.
We will be having an African-American Figures Workshop in either June or July. Mentioned in an earlier post, we will be learning how to paint Faces of the World, using a color chart and directions that were produced by Duncan many years ago.
- Studio Workshop. The workshop fee is $20.00 for one piece or $27.50 for a pair. If you do not finish during the scheduled time (4 hours) you may return during an open class at no additional charge.
- Party Van Workshop. We can bring this workshop to your home, church, or other facility. Minimum party is eight painters, maximum is twenty.
- Bisque. Figures are $7.50 in bisque, without instruction. Like other new techniques, we recommend a workshop first to learn the technique and then paint more at home or during an open class.
- Santa. The Santa is sitting in a chair with a child on his lap. He is 10″ tall and sells for $17.50 in bisque. We recommend that you learn on one of the other figures before trying to paint the Santa as the faces are not as easy to reach.
- Finished. If you would like to order finished pieces, please send a PM for pricing.
There is more to come — Pictures of my finished pieces, and more molds that Mira is getting for me. We also have the mugs, plates, teapots, etc. with painted African pictures. And we have African and Egyptian masks.